Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Easy Chicken and Black Bean Casserole

This week has been crazy with the start of school.  I am the proud momma of a Pre-K student!
The start of school had me out of the house Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights.  By Thursday night, we were all tired of eating pizza and takeout.  I was also pretty tired, and the kids were clingy.  I threw this casserole together with very little prep time, which allowed me some much needed playtime with my little ones.
I used my go-to kitchen staples of chicken, black beans, tomatoes and cheese, then spiced them up with a little jalapeno pepper.
The result was warm, creamy comfort food that I didn't have to slave over!  This is perfect when you don't really feel like cooking, but you want something good to eat.

I made it up as I went along, so I don't have a picture of all the ingredients, but here's what you'll need.
  • 2 cups uncooked pasta, I use small shapes
  • 3 cups cooked chicken (leftovers work great!)
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 can tomato paste
  • Water - after you scoop out the tomato paste, fill that can with water....that's how much you need
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese, divided (I get the Mexican blend)
Start by preheating oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly grease 9x13 pan.  Cook pasta according to package directions.
Heat olive oil in large pot (big enough to fit all of this in there eventually) over medium high heat. Add jalapeno and cook about 2 minutes. Add in diced tomatoes, chicken, black beans, tomato paste and water. Cook about 5 minutes. Stir in cooked pasta and 1 cup of the shredded cheese until everything is well blended (think about it like this, "I want a little bit of everything in every bite").
Pour into prepared 9x13 pan.
Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven, Top with remaining 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese.  Bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Enjoy it with some happy dinner conversation tonight!
Get the printable.

2 comments:

  1. That looks SO good! I can't wait to make it!!! -Hayley T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks sooooo good! Pinning it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...