Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Red Beans and Rice *Crockpot*

Hello?  Anyone still there?  I'm sorry; I've been gone a looooong time.  Life has been pretty busy.  The busier it gets, the less I cook pretty food.  Sad fact.  BUT - I have been using my crockpot a LOT.  Like at least twice a week.  So I thought I'd share some red beans and rice with you.  This is a family favorite, comfort food at its best.  My kids will eat beans and rice without fail.  They would eat it every night if I would allow.  And it is so nice to come home to a meal that's ready to go and waiting on you.

You actually start this the night before you cook it.  Open up your beans, rinse them and put them in a pot.  Cover the beans with water.  Make sure there's a lot of water in there (at least 2-3 inches over the top of the beans).  Put the lid on the pot and leave it just like that on the counter over night.  This softens the beans so you'll get a better consistency when you cook them.

When you wake up drain your beans in a collander, rinse them (I'm told this removes the gas from the beans) and put them in your crock pot.

Add your liquid.  Best case senario is stock.  If you don't have any, you can use water.  If I use water, I usually add bullion or brown gravy mix.

Add onions, garlic, bell pepper (you can buy this pre chopped, or chop them the night before when you put your beans soaking) and seasoning.

You can either add your sausage straight from the fridge, or cook it first.  I've done it both ways with no complaints from the crowd.  It really depends on how much time you have.  I prefer the taste and texture of browning it on the stove first, but some days I'm short on time and I throw it in the crock pot without even bothering to cut it.

That's really all there is to it.  Put the lid on your crock pot and let it do it's thing.

Serve over rice (which can also be made the night before if you know you'll have a hungry crew when you walk in the door).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...