Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Day "For Me"

I took a vacation day from work.  I'm behind on so very many things in life that I'm begining to walk around in a constant state of angst.  The house is a mess; dinner lately has been a lot of hot dogs, breakfast for dinner and even the occassional PB&J; I haven't sewn in a while; and the lemon tree is looking a bit droopy.  I decided it was time for "Me" time.  Loosely translated, that's time when I stay home from work, ship the kids to daycare and take care of my mountainous To-Do List during daylight hours without little ones underfoot.


I'm a huge fan of lists so as so as soon the kids went to sleep I grabbed a notebook and my laptop and headed for the couch to plan my day.  Groceries were #1 on the list.  I made out a little meal plan and grocery list, jotted quick reminder about the plants that I have, which set me looking for new ones I want (green beans and herbs), then blocked out the bulk of my "Me" day to make Bug a dress!  Digging through my fabrics, I hemmed and hawed a bit before finally making a decision.  A quick sketch (if you can call it that) was drafted, and I went to bed to dream about my wonderful day off.


The morning of, I woke with an extra skip in my step.  I had time to laugh and play with the kids before heading off to daycare.  In a nice change from the usual morning rush, I remembered to kiss John bye and tell him to "Have a Great Day!".  Grocery shopping and plant watering went quickly - 23 minutes ahead of my careful master plan(!) - I was ready to sew!


The dress evolved from it's originally intended sketch quite a few times, but all in all I was pleased with it.  That is until I put it on Bug . . . it was quite a bit too wide and about an inch an a half too short.  A quick stitch along the side seams fixed the width.  I have all intentions of adding another ruffle at the bottom for that length.  I am however posting a picture of the current product.  We can count how many days it takes for the extra ruffle to end up on the dress.


Front:

Back:

Close up of the back:



My house is still a mess, but for now I'm pretty pleased with the work I did get done.  I have groceries to cook decent dinners, the plants are smiling a little brighter and Bug is giddy about her new "pwetty dwess".  Another happy day has passed.  I not only survived this one but gained a little ground in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...