Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Saving the Season - Herb Infused Oil

Winter is on it's way.  At least that's what the calendar says.  I really can't tell with the 80+ degree weather we've been having lately, but November's almost over, so surely we're going to get winter, right?
One way I like to preserve the tastes of summer is by infusing my cooking oil with herbs.  The infused oil will last about 6 weeks in the fridge - much longer than cut herbs.  It's super easy, too.  Just put some olive oil or canola oil in a pan or shallow pot and add in some herbs (I used thyme and sage here).  You can either cover it and let it sit at room temperature for a day or two... or heat it.  I like to heat it because I lack patience.  Just let it warm up on low for 30-45 minutes (be careful not to fry or burn the herbs, it will make them bitter), then turn off the heat, cover and let sit overnight.  Drain the oil into a jar (you don't want the pieces of herbs in there, they will die and contaminate the oil) and store in the fridge.  See, I told you it was easy.  And now you can add the taste of fresh herbs long after they've all died out.

You can also do this with shallots, peppers, garlic ~ whatever you want really!  Happy infusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...